Grace is a community, building its tradition through the sharing of the Good News of
Jesus Christ and caring for all of God’s children.
The ministries of Grace Lutheran Church will fulfill the spiritual, physical and social
needs of all in God’s Kingdom.
A Brief History
After three unsuccessful attempts, Grace English Lutheran Church was founded on March 26, 1881. The Rev. Dr. Jonathon Kauffman resigned his position as president of the Ohio Ministerium to serve as its first pastor. The first church structure, completed in 1892, was a ninety by sixty foot building.
By 1915 the congregation had outgrown its original facility. A new facility, the present sanctuary and Christian Education building was built and completed in 1919. The sanctuary was inspired by the Cathedral of Reims, France. Generous donations were received for the stain glass windows, pipe organ, marble altar and baptismal font came from the Young and Seiberling families.
In particular the stain glass windows adorning the sanctuary were designed by the Rev. Dr. Charles Etter and crafted by nationally known artisan, Toland Wright.
Grace Church continues forth today richly blessed by her forebears, striving to fulfill her mission to build our tradition through the sharing of the Good News of Jesus Christ and caring for all of God’s children and to implement our vision to fulfill the spiritual, physical and social needs of all in God’s Kingdom.
See the attached Welcome to Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church brochure